Myths About Cats...
So How Do These Cat Legends Get Started?
The funny thing is, when it comes to myths about cats...
When do you know that what you believe is a myth?
Do you have cat facts or feline folklore?
Have you been taught cat lessons or cat legends?
...And in the end, does it really matter?
Um, I'd say that's a yes...it really matters!
If you want to have truthful cat talk,
you have to know the truth about cats!
Ok, so it matters, but...what's the difference?
, cat folklore, cat legends, cat facts...though similar in meaning, there is
- Cat Myths
- From the Encarta Dictionary: False belief. A widely held but mistaken belief.
- From Answers.com: A popular belief or story that has become associated with an occurrence. A fiction or half-truth, especially one that forms part of an ideology*. *(Ideology meaning the characteristic thinking of a group or individual.)
- Cat Folklore
- From the Encarta Dictionary: Traditional local stories: Traditional stories and explanations passed down in a community or country.
- From Answers.com: The traditional beliefs, myths, tales, and practices of a people, transmitted orally.
- Cat Legends
- From the Encarta Dictionary: Old story: A story that has been passed down for generations, especially one that is presented as history but is unlikely to be true.
- From Answers.com: An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical.
- Cat Facts
- From the Encarta Dictionary: Truth or reality of something: The truth or actual existence of something, as opposed to the supposition of something or a belief about something.
- From Answers.com: Knowledge or information based on real occurrences. Something demonstrated to exist or known to have existed.
So...from all the definitions you've read, what conclusions can you draw?
Myths about cats, along with cat folklore and cat legends are based on beliefs, probably spread by statements like:
"Well, I've always heard that....".
Cat facts are based on things that have really and truly happened...they can be backed up with putty-tat proof!
But getting back to myths, or more specifically, myths about cats...
When we begin to look at specific myths, we'll see that they can be divided into three basic "types" of cat myths:
Lighthearted myths that are odd or humorous.
Serious cat myths that need to be cleared up with cat facts.
Dangerous myths that could cost your cat its life.
Myths and cat legends can be about anything and everything to do with your cat:
Cat's Body Myths :
Cat Body Language
Cat Litter Box Myths :
Cat Care Myths :
Cat Behavior Myths :
Cat Training Myths :
Cat Toy Myths :
When all is said and done, hopefully the next time you hear someone starting off a sentence with:
"Well, I've always heard that cat's ....."
You'll be able to spot the cat myths and set the record straight!
Return From Myths About Cats to Cat Talk HomePage